Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Social Studies Lesson Extension

After teaching my social studies formal lesson I was able to do an extension lesson the next day I attended clinicals. I taught my formal lesson on Monday April 7th and got to complete an extension today. The students needed a little bit more time to finish a flipbook they were completing during my formal lesson. My cooperating teacher also wanted to give me a chance to see what the students had retained from my lesson and practice some of the techniques that we discussed during our debriefing. I was not feeling very confident after teaching my lessons because I ran low on time due to not having the proper ability to pace myself and keep track of time during the lesson.
When I completed the extension lesson today I felt way better about the lesson I had taught and my teaching abilities. I was able to use a clapping attention getter that the students readily and easily responded to. This helped me keep the students attention and their focus throughout the lesson. I was also able to better communicate with the students and let them speak out and discuss on their own. Since I was able to teach this extension I was able to reteach my academic language and make sure the students really took away the important facts I was trying to teach the students.
My cooperating teacher was very supportive throughout the lesson and gave me time before the school day started to prepare. She was going to finish the flipbooks on tuesday but decided to let me finish out what I had started so it would be a good learning experience for me in the long run. During my prep time I took out two of the pages that proved to be too difficult for the kindergarten grade level and that made the completetion of the flipbook a more developmentally appropraite task for the students.
I am excited to take away everything I have learned from this teaching experience and apply it to my future lesson implementations.

No comments:

Post a Comment